Monday, November 16, 2009

Why we chose Wiltipoll sheep

When setting up our farming business, we had the goal of producing low input animals that were both economical and ethical to produce for meat. 

I trialed breeds of cattle, sheep and even goats. I was dissapointed over and over when they didn't stack up to the claims being made.  Some were big and very well muscled and looked to be the answer but they required an enormous amount of input in high cost feed in intensive feedlotting to get them to finishing. 

Others claimed to be good 'doers' but didn't do much at all, others were horned and required painful and often unsuccesfull dehorning procedures and when we decided not to put the animals through that process, they got stuck by their horns in the fences, which meant we had to check fences twice daily or the sheep would perish in our summer heat or be killed by wild dogs.
  
Some sheep breeds were suppose to shed their fleece and never did, meaning they had to be shorn three times annually in our heat and humidity (at great cost for useless wool).
We also had some breeds that took so long to finish that we were overrun and overstocked and we ended up with mutton dressed up as lamb.

We lost a lot of money, time and sleep in these trials and that is why we want to spread the word about genuine quality Wiltipoll sheep.

When I trialled the Wiltipoll I didn't purchase the best registered stock. I was new to this fabulous breed and niave so the breed didn't get the best trial but I still recognised the Wiltipoll's potential.
I then searched for quality stock and my faith in the breed was rewarded; good quality Wiltipolls do meet all the claims and then some, the quality ones are actually fully shedding and they do produce fully shedding offspring regardless of the climate or nutrition of the stock, they are actually extremely low maintenance (Eureka Wiltipolls do better than our cattle with much less inputs and pasture). Also the turnaround from farm to plate is very quick. When I trialled this breed, I actually said 'Eureka' I have found them! and hence the name of my stud - 'Eureka'.

Being a Vet nurse in a large animal practice, I have a vested interest in livestock welfare and sustainable, humane and ethical agriculture, the Wiltipoll fits the bill. Eureka!

Eureka Wiltipoll ewes can be lambed, grow out their lambs to a lean prime lamb carcass of 25-28kg within a time frame of 5 months (on pasture only), shed their fleece (no need for you to shear or crutch before lambing) and the lambs don't need any treatments other than vaccinaton and drenching. 

I love the fact that I don't have to shear, there is no muelsing or crutching, no dehorning, I don't even need to tail dock.
Some people have a problem with seeing sheep with tails, I am not sure why, I have never had an injury to a tail or any problem with fertility and the tails are actually helpful to keep flying insects away. 

All my Eureka Wiltipolls require is drenching and annual vaccinations.

Our Wiltipoll ewes all lamb in their first year, having a single lamb that year and then having muliple births with twins being usual and triplets if the season is good.  

The lambs are born easily and are very strong, bounding around within minutes after birth.

Our Wiltipoll ewes produce an early finishing lean prime lamb.